Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Godfather



Every so often, I feel a need for a fix of "The Godfather." Perhaps it's the masculine side of me. Perhaps it's just the need for escapism, where one can lose oneself in a really great story for a long time. It's a classic. It has the fantantic lines. 'Leave the gun, take the cannolli.' The classic scenes. Who can forget the horse's head in the bed?

But what is this need for escapism to an old favorite? For me, it's almost like pulling on a familiar pair of slippers and a favorite sweater. Comforting. Resassuring. And it's also a reminder just how high the bar has to be for new 'favorites' to be. A tough standard. How can new actors match the performances of Pacino? Of Duvall and James Caan? Diane Keaton was lumious in a serious role. Ah, and of course, Marlon Brando.

This movie, like a fine wine, is one to be savored. And every time I watch it, I come away with something new.

Just color me an old fashioned gal.

Love
Kennedy.

No comments: